Massive Earthquake Strikes Salt Lake City

Utah has been hit with another disaster that rocked their world. A 5.7-magnitude earthquake struck early in the morning. Thousands of people are without power and are having to clean up all the damage that was caused by the shaking.

The people of Utah should not have to deal with all the damages, power outages and the coronavirus at once. But they are doing what Americans do best. They are enduring through tough times because the American dream always comes out on top of adversity.

The epicenter is located three miles from Magna and had a depth of six miles. 2.8 million people live in the affected region. If the virus was not enough, the quake certainly did its job in the city.

Gary Herbert is the governor of Utah, and he stated that “This is extremely bad timing because we already have the coronavirus issue going on right now causing a lot of anxiety.” The powerful quake was felt all over the state. He and others are telling people to be careful and expect aftershocks to come soon.

There are areas that people need to stay away from because of the damages. The last thing that he needs to have happened is for innocent people to be found dead because they failed to listen to the warnings.

The advice and commands that he is giving to people are the same as the coronavirus. He has stated that “Please stay away from the downtown area while crews assess the damage. Unless you work in public safety, or are an essential employee, remain at home or telework.”

What is making matters worse is that the emergency labs and poison control centers have been affected. They just are not working because of all the damages. The center of the quake was within 15 miles of Salt Lake City.

This is one of the strongest that the region has felt in a long time. Many are wondering if there will be more that will strike with the same force. But no one really knows until it happens.

Most of the damage that was reported came from the Magna region. To make matters worse for people was the airport was shut down and the roads in and out of the area were closed.

People could not make it to the airport to catch their flights because of the damages around the region. The airport did not sustain much damage and was able to be opened hours after it was shutdown.

The quake caught a lot of people off guard and will be remembered by residents for years to come. The quake lasted at least 15 seconds. Enough to cause some people to worry about what was going on.

One Mormon church in the area had some minor damages as it was reported that “The trumpet on the Angel Moroni statue fell off, and there is a minor displacement of some of the temple’s smaller spire stones. No workers were injured. Crews on the job site have been sent home for the day, and a full assessment is underway to determine needs going forward.”

Most people had the problem of crocked pictures and dishes being thrown to the floors. Many other people in other states also had the joy of feeling the shock waves as they passed through the bedrock. 70,000 have no power which is making their lives hard.

This is the largest quake since 1992 when a 5.9 hit the state. After the 5.7 there were at least four aftershocks that would hit within 23 minutes of each other. Their strength was recorded at 3.7 to 3.9.

The wonderful thing that they have going for them is thee is a president in the White House that stands ready to help them rebuild if they need the help.

But the American spirit is strong and it will prevail the adversity that many are going through these days. Americans have a way of coming together after hard times which is something that sets the country apart from the rest of the world.